Family hit with $8,000 vet bill after dog ate rock

(Photo credit: MartinFredy/Getty Images)

A family have been hit with a £7,000 (about $8,000) vet bill after their Weimaraner swallowed a rock whole, The mirror reports.

Dog mum Shannon Stone took Milo, four, to the vet near their home in Wales after he started vomiting and producing blood. The vet asked him if he might have eaten something that he didn’t like.

Stone said that although he had a fondness for chew socks, she hadn’t noticed him eating anything unusual. However, after a scan, the vet saw that the dog had a stone in his lower intestine.

Lifesaving surgery – and a vet bill

“They gave us the option of taking him home with painkillers and seeing if it would pass or leaving him there under observation,” Shannon explained, so she left Milo at the vet. However, the family received a call that night to let them know he needed life-saving surgery to remove the stone.

Thankfully the surgery went well and Milo is now safely home and doing well. She described him as “such a character”, her father being her favourite.

“He wasn’t eating at the vet,” she said. “They wanted him to come home and as soon as he did he started eating, he just wanted to be home.

“He acts like a puppy, he’s so energetic. He is so much better now but he doesn’t understand that he needs to rest, he wants to run and play. And he hates his cone.

Milo is seeing the vet again today (November 1) to make sure his recovery is going as planned. But according to his dog parents, he seems to have come back to himself. They didn’t see the rock, so they don’t know how big it was. However, they expect to see him when they return to the vet.

The Dangers of Eating Rocks

The American Kennel Club says eating stones can lead to intestinal blockages, perforated stomachs and choking – and can also damage teeth and gums.

It can be difficult to keep your dog from eating rocks, especially when they are outdoors or on walks. Sometimes dogs can eat rocks out of boredom, so make sure they have enough toys and activities to occupy their minds and bodies. Alternatively, eating stones could be a sign of an eating disorder. as pica. If in doubt, it is best to consult your veterinarian.